Jeri’s Low Carb, GF Hot Dog Buns
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup golden flaxmeal
- 1 tablespoon potato starch*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 Jumbo Eggs (or 5 large)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Topping – OPTIONAL-1 tablespoon sesame seeds + 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic + ½ tablespoon dried onion flakes (or what ever combination you prefer)
In a large mixing bowl mix together almond flour, flax meal, potato starch, baking soda, and salt
Add eggs and vinegar and mix with an electric hand mixer until thoroughly combined (do not over beat or you will lose the gas that forms when the baking soda and vinegar combine.
Place batter in a resealable plastic bag, snip off one corner, and pipe batter onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper. (if you have a special pan, it would give a little better height, but this worked quite well. I got 9 buns the length of a hot dog.
I have also piped these into small rounds to use as a bagel substitute.
Sprinkle buns with topping mixture if desired
Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean
- I have seen a similar recipe using coconut flour instead of potato starch, but these are less dense and, I think, have a better mouth feel.
- Freeze well. Re-heat leftovers in a toaster oven for crisp crust.